The Kansas Nursing Initiative was developed to address the growing nursing shortage in the state by providing needed resources to nursing education programs to enable them to increase their capacity to instruct additional nursing students.
The 2006 Legislature responded to the nursing shortage with funds for postsecondary institutions with nursing programs through a competitive grant process and required matching funds from the institution.
Today, subject to annual appropriation from the Legislature, $1.8 million is available to both public and privately-funded educational institutions with registered nursing programs. These grant funds support faculty and nursing lab supplies with the goal of improving program quality and student success.
Eligibility criteria are:
- The program must be approved by the Kansas Board of Nursing and nationally accredited;
- The most recent three-year average NCLEX test scores must be at or above the three-year national average; and
- There must be documented articulation of one of the following: Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Nursing to Master of Science in Nursing, or Master of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice.
To assist those programs not meeting the above criteria, 10 percent of funds are set aside for “alternative applications” for programs to:
- Obtain national accreditation; or
- Improve NCLEX scores to a minimum of three-year national average.
Twenty-eight Kansas nursing programs appIied for funds in 2020. Five programs applied for 10 percent of the total funds set aside to continue the process to receive national accreditation or implement strategies to improve NCLEX scores. Grants are awarded on a yearly basis, which allows institutions to address deficiencies and become eligible for additional funding in subsequent years.
FY22 Kansas Nursing Initiative Grant
- Full Application (doc)
- Alternate Application A - Accreditation (doc)
- Alternate Application B - NCLEX Scores (doc)
FY21 Kansas Nursing Initiative Grant
- Budget Modification Form (doc)
- FY 21 Final Report Narrative (doc)
- FY 21 Final Expenditure Report (doc)