Steps for hosting a successful Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) event:
- Schedule a time (October-December) when parents & students can meet together for an FAFSA completion event (it might need to be held outside of school hours). Some communities might also choose to do a 2nd FAFSA event in January or February
- Contact financial aid representatives from any local community college, technical college, or university to help present information and answer questions for parents during the event.
- Financial Aid Resource Guide for list & maps of local institutions
- Prepare Students for the Event
- Provide a lesson about the FAFSA & types of financial aid
- Take students through creating their FSA ID prior to the event
- Send the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet or FAFSA Completion Checklist home to complete prior to the event. (This will help families know what information is needed and what questions they have for FAFSA completion day)
- Promote the FAFSA completion day with students and parents.
- Hold your FAFSA event!
- Tips for Successful FAFSA Completion (editable for your school)
- After the FAFSA checklist to send home with students/families (Spanish version of After the FAFSA checklist)
- "How can the FAFSA help me pay for College or Career school?" - Brochure for families describing FAFSA, types of aid, timeline & benefits of completing the FAFSA.
- FAFSA Completion Event Webinar Recording- January 21, 2021
- Comprehensive Financial Aid Resource Page
- Types of Federal Student Aid 2021-2022 (Spanish version - Types of Federal Student Aid 2021-2022)
- KASFAA High School Counselor Training
- Student/Parent/Counselor Resources