Steps for hosting a successful Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) event:
- Schedule a time (October-December) when parents & students can meet together for an FAFSA completion event (it might need to be held outside of school hours). Some communities might also choose to do a 2nd FAFSA event in January or February
- Contact financial aid representative from a local community college, technical college, or university to help present information and answer questions for parents during the event.
- Financial Aid Resource Guide for list & maps of local institutions
- Prepare Students for the Event
- Provide a lesson about the FAFSA & types of financial aid
- Take students through creating their FSA ID prior to the event
- Send the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet or FAFSA Completion Checklist home to complete prior to the event. (This will help families know what information is needed and what questions they have for FAFSA completion day)
- Promote the FAFSA completion day with students and parents.
- Hold your FAFSA event!