Guidelines for the Determination of Residency for Fee Purposes

88-3-1 Student information. Whenever a question arises concerning a person’s residence classification for fee purposes, that person shall be provided with a copy of information substantially as set forth in this regulation, together with K.A.R. 88-3-2 through 88-3-13.

     ‘‘Carefully read the information, statute, and regulations that follow. Then, if you believe you should be eligible for resident classification for fee purposes, complete the attached application for residence classification and submit it to the registrar within 30 days of your notification of classification as a nonresident for fee purposes. When an appeal is made by a student from a determination that the student is a nonresident, the student must pay nonresident fees at the time designated for payment of fees. If the student is found to be a resident, the difference between resident and nonresident fees will be refunded. Subject to the provisions of K.S.A. 77-601, et seq., decisions of the residence committee shall not be subject to further administrative review by any officer or committee of the university, or by the state board of regents.’’


     ‘‘The responsibility of enrolling under proper residence classification for fee purposes is placed on the student. If there is any possible question of residence classification under the regulations of the state board of regents, it is the duty of the student when registering and paying fees to raise the question with the registrar. If a student enrolls incorrectly as a resident of Kansas and it is determined at a later date the student was a nonresident for fee purposes, the student shall be required to pay the nonresident fee for all terms during which the student was incorrectly registered.’’ (Authorized by K.S.A. 76-730; implementing K.S.A. 76-729; effective, E-71-35, Aug. 20, 1971; effective Jan. 1, 1972; amended, E-76-50, Oct. 10, 1975; amended, E-77-5, March 19, 1976; amended Feb. 15, 1977; amended May 1, 1986; amended Nov. 18, 1991; amended July 24, 1998.)