88-28-8. Student records upon closure of an institution.
(a) If an institution is closing, either voluntarily or involuntarily, the owner shall cease all recruitment efforts, school marketing, advertising, solicitation, and enrollment of new students. The owner or owner’s designee shall submit relevant documentation to the board, immediately upon request, including the following:
(1) A written statement from the owner or the owner’s designee detailing the intent and timeline to close the institution;
(2) a copy of the closure notice provided to students;
(3) a list of current students, including contact information, the program in which each student is enrolled, expected graduation date, and any potential refund due to each student;
(4) a teach-out agreement or transfer plan for current students;
(5) a list identifying the location of all student records, including student transcripts; and
(6) an active mailing address and telephone number where the institution owner can be reached after the institution closes.
(b) Upon closure of an institution, an owner of the institution or the owner’s designee shall deliver to the state board or make available to the state board through an approved third party all transcripts of the students who are or have been in attendance at the institution, unless, for institutions providing Kansas residents with distance education only, the state board determines that receipt of all transcripts of students who are or have been in attendance at the institution while a Kansas resident are sufficient to protect the state’s students’ interests. Records for any student with a hold on that student’s record shall be included. These records shall be delivered or made available no more than 15 calendar days following the closure.
(c) If the student records are not delivered or made available to the state board as required by subsection (b), any action deemed necessary may be commenced by the state board to obtain possession of the records. (Authorized by K.S.A. 2021 Supp. 74-32,165; implementing K.S.A. 2021 Supp. 74-32,170; effective Oct. 20, 2006; amended May 26, 2017; amended Feb. 17, 2023.)