88-9a-5. Scholarship agreement.
(a) Each student who is determined qualified by a promise-eligible institution for a promise scholarship shall enter into a promise scholarship agreement with the board of regents.
(b) Each promise scholarship agreement shall require the student to meet the following requirements:
(1) Enroll as a full-time student or a part-time student in a promise-eligible program at the promise-eligible institution from which the student is receiving the promise scholarship;
(2) within 36 months of the initial promise scholarship award date, meet one of the following requirements:
(A) Successfully complete the promise-eligible program for which the student received the promise scholarship; or
(B) if the promise-eligible program for which the promise scholarship is awarded is a career and technical education associate degree or certificate program that leads to multiple credentials, successfully complete the number of credit hours necessary to earn the first credential in that promise-eligible program;
(3) within six months after successfully completing the promise-eligible program for which the promise scholarship was awarded, meet one of the following requirements:
(A) Reside in and commence work in Kansas and continue to reside and work in Kansas for at least two consecutive years following completion of the promise-eligible program for which the promise scholarship was awarded; or
(B) enroll as a full-time student or a part-time student in any public or private postsecondary educational institution with its primary location in Kansas and, within six months of graduation or failure to remain continuously enrolled, reside in and commence work in Kansas, and continue to reside and work in Kansas for at least two consecutive years;
(4) until released from the scholarship agreement obligations, maintain records and annually report to the board of regents the following personal information on the form provided by the board:
(A) Full legal name;
(B) current residential address;
(C) telephone number;
(D) personal and work electronic-mail addresses;
(E) contact information for two individuals at different addresses who know how to contact the student;
(F) the name of each promise-eligible institution that awarded a promise scholarship to the student;
(G) the promise-eligible program credential sought by the student;
(H) specification of whether the student successfully completed the promise-eligible program for which the student’s promise scholarship was awarded;
(I) the student’s employment status, current employer contact information, original hire date, and employer verification of the information required by this paragraph;
(J) the student’s Kansas postsecondary institution enrollment status, name of institution currently attending, course of study in which the student is enrolled, anticipated graduation date, and registrar’s verification information; and
(K) any additional relevant information that the board of regents may require; and
(5) upon failure to meet any requirement of the promise scholarship agreement, repay to the board of regents the full amount of the promise scholarship awarded to the student, with interest accruing beginning on the date the student is determined by the board to be out of compliance and at the rate established pursuant to K.S.A. 2021 Supp. 74-32,276 and amendments thereto.
(c) Each promise-eligible institution shall withhold the award of any promise scholarship until after the student has met all eligibility requirements and entered into a promise scholarship agreement with the board of regents. (Authorized by K.S.A. 74-32,272, as amended by L. 2022, ch. 94, sec. 29; implementing K.S.A. 2021 Supp. 74-32,272 and 74-32,276, as amended by L. 2022, ch. 94, secs. 29 and 33; effective March 17, 2023.)