About Adult Education
Kansas Adult Education is the first step in a career pathways system that meets the demands of the Kansas workforce for high skills and the needs of Kansas workers for high wages.
In order to support better quality of life for individuals and communities and prepare adults for achieving industry recognized credentials and college certificates, we provide high quality instruction and targeted student support services that are aligned with learner goals and available at times and places accessible to adults with jobs and families.
Kansas State Plan
The Adult Education and Family Literacy Act is Title II of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998. The Workforce Investment Act combines federal legislation for employment, adult education, and vocational rehabilitation programs to create an integrated, "one-stop" system of workforce development for adults and youth.
Entities funded under the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) are mandatory partners in this one-stop delivery system. The act replaces the Adult Education Act (AEA), the National Literacy Act of 1991, and other previous adult education and literacy legislation.
Kansas adult education is guided by a one-year transitional plan approved through June 30, 2000. AEFLA requires that an additional four-year state plan be developed, approved by the Kansas Board of Regents, and submitted to the U. S. Department of Education.
The Kansas Four-Year State Plan was developed cooperatively with adult education center directors and coordinators who provide services to citizens in Kansas. Input was solicited and incorporated from other adult education partners and stakeholders.
Review the approved state plan for adult education in Kansas, including revised performance levels and information about English literacy and Civics Education:
Click below to view the most current Four-Year State Plan for adult education here in the state of Kansas:
- Adult Education and Family Literacy Program (FY16 State Plan Extension) (pdf)
- Adult Education and Family Literacy Program (FY15 State Plan Extension) (pdf)
- Adult Education and Family Literacy Program (FY14 State Plan Extension) (pdf)
Adult Education Policies
- Kansas Adult Education 2016 Policy Manual - updated November 10, 2015 (pdf)
- PABLO Manual - revised April 2015 (pdf)
Adult Education Funding
- FY2016 Continuation Funding Application (pdf)
- Performance-Based Funding explanation - effective July 1, 2014 (pdf)
- FY2017 Indicators of a Quality Adult Education Program - effective July 1, 2016 (pdf)