Please read the following information carefully.

In accordance with the U.S. Department of Education Program Integrity Rule, 34 C.F.R. Part 600.9, the Kansas Board of Regents has adopted a process to review and appropriately act on student complaints concerning the six state universities. The policy requires that each state university establish procedures to address student grievances and complaints. If after exhausting all available institutional processes a student’s complaint remains unresolved, the student may make a complaint to the Board office, in writing, by completing and submitting a complaint form.

For information and assistance on institutional grievance or complaint processes, please contact the university using the contact information provided below:

Emporia State University

Lynn Hobson
Associate Vice President for Student Life
phone: (620) 341-5267
address: 1200 Commercial, Campus Box 4007, Emporia, KS 66801

Fort Hays State University

Tisa Mason
Vice President of Student Affairs  
phone: (785) 628-4277
address: Sheridan Hall Rm 208, 600 Park Street, Hays, KS 67601

Kansas State University

Heather Reed
Associate Dean & Director of Student Life   
phone: (785) 532-6432
address: 102 Holton Hall, Manhattan, KS 66506

Pittsburg State University

Steven Erwin 
Associate Vice President for Campus Life
phone: (620) 235-4246
address: Russ Hall 203, 1701 S Broadway, Pittsburg, KS 66762

University of Kansas

Tammara Durham
phone: (785) 864-4060
address: 133 Strong, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045

Medical Center      
Vince Loffredo, Vice Chancellor of Student Services
phone: (913) 588-4698
address: 3901 Rainbow Blvd., 1005 Dykes Library, Kansas City, KS 66160

Wichita State University

Office of the Vice President and General Counsel  
phone: (316) 978-6791
address: 1845 Fairmount, Wichita, KS 67260

Community Colleges, Technical Colleges, Washburn University and Private Postsecondary Institutions

Community Colleges, Technical Colleges and Washburn University are not governed by the Kansas Board of Regents and should be contacted directly regarding complaints.

Private Postsecondary Institutions that are regulated by the Board have a different complaint process.  

Kansas Board of Regents Policy On Complaint Process

a.  Each state university shall establish and enforce explicit procedures to address student grievances and complaints alleging university activity, or a university employee act or omission, that is proscribed by Board or institutional policies. Each state university shall create, maintain, and advertise an office of ombudsman or similar single point of contact to assist students in determining the appropriate university procedure for initiating a particular complaint or grievance.

b.  To address complaints for which there is no other applicable institutional procedure, the chief executive officer of each state university shall designate an office at the Vice Chancellor or Vice President level at each campus for the purpose of receiving and evaluating complaints alleging conduct by employees of the university that is proscribed by Board or institutional policies.

i.  Upon receipt of a written, formal and signed complaint pursuant to this subsection 11.b., the designated official shall notify the chief executive officer of the university and the employee(s) complained about, and shall investigate the merits of the complaint. If the designated official determines that the complaint has merit, that official shall proceed to resolve it through administrative channels if possible.

ii.  If it is impossible for the complaint to be resolved by the designated official through administrative channels, the issue shall be referred to the chief executive officer of the university who shall appoint an appropriate institutional committee to hear the complaint.

iii.  The hearing committee shall forward its recommendation to the chief executive officer of the university for review. The chief executive officer shall accept, reject, or modify the recommendation of the hearing committee.

iv.  This procedure shall not negate any other policy relating to the processing of claims or charges of proscribed conduct which may be made by persons directly involved with or affected by the operation and management of the university.

c.  If after exhausting all available institutional grievance or complaint processes a student’s complaint remains unresolved, the student may make a complaint to the Board office, in writing, by completing and submitting such forms as may be required by the Board.

i.  The Board will not accept the following types of complaints:

(1)  Complaints that are submitted anonymously;

(2)  complaints related to matters that are the subject of pending or threatened litigation, or that have already been adjudicated by the courts;

(3)  complaints that allege wrongful acts by a person or entity other than a state university or employee of a state university acting in their capacity as a university employee;

(4)  complaints regarding actions or matters occurring more than 2 years prior to the submission of the complaint;

(5)  complaints concerning a student’s grades or examination results; and

(6)  complaints concerning an employment relationship between a student and the university.

ii.  Upon receiving a written complaint containing all requisite information, the Board office shall conduct the following review:

(1)  Determine if the state university has a process for addressing the complaint;

(2)  determine if the university process was followed;

(3)  determine if the university resolution was reasonable.

d.  Complaints alleging violation of laws that another state agency is charged with enforcing may be made directly to that other state agency. Following the process outlined in paragraph c. shall not be considered a requirement for such complaints. Making such a complaint to the Board shall be considered as the complainant’s consent to authorize the Board to forward the complaint to the appropriate enforcing entity.